Tease by Amanda Maciel

Pages: 336
Format: Paperback
Goodreads
three-half-starsthree-half-starsthree-half-starsthree-half-stars

From debut author Amanda Maciel comes a provocative and unforgettable novel, inspired by real-life incidents, about a teenage girl who faces criminal charges for bullying after a classmate commits suicide.Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault. At least, that's what everyone seems to think. Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. Now Sara is the one who's ostracized, already guilty according to her peers, the community, and the media. In the summer before her senior year, in between meetings with lawyers and a court-recommended therapist, Sara is forced to reflect on the events that brought her to this moment—and ultimately consider her own role in an undeniable tragedy. And she'll have to find a way to move forward, even when it feels like her own life is over.With its powerful narrative, unconventional point of view, and strong anti-bullying theme, this coming-of-age story offers smart, insightful, and nuanced views on high school society, toxic friendships, and family relationships. Supports the Common Core State Standards.

This Review is brought to you by MEAN GIRLS

The Cover: 8/10
Writing: 8/10
Heroine: -1—Sara can go jump off a bridge.
Romance: 0/10
Sexiness: 0/10
Over All Story 3.5/5

Tease follows the life of Sara Wharton after Emma Putnam’s Suicide. Everyone believes (including me) that Sara was one of there reasons behind it. You see Sara is a heartless bitch who believes HER life is horrible and it’s EMMA’s fault.

Because of her Bully Sara is basically persona non grata by the whole school. On top of that the FBI is investigating and she has a court date to prepare for. ON top of that she has to get counseling!

I SAY GOOD!

Why? Why am so harsh with this evil little witch of a MC?

Here are some of her thoughts.

“She asked for it.”

“It didn’t have to happen if she didn’t do this… if she didn’t do that…”

“We didn’t kill her. She did this to herself.”

“Emma was a boyfriend-stealing bitch right up until the day in March when she killed herself. I didn’t do anything wrong, but she totally ruined my life.”

“My knees are still pale after this long, long summer spent inside, talking about my feelings, talking about a girl I barely knew who didn’t want to live. Didn’t want to live in the world that had me in it. And I’m still here, in this crappy world. Fighting her ghost.”

Don’t get me wrong Emily did break the girl code. It wasn’t as if she was a great person. She did make out with Dylan, Sara’s kinda boyfriend, then she also had sex with Tyler. Emily made mistakes. I will not sugar coat but. It’s not Like Sara was a good person either! The Slut shaming in this was off the charts!

Sara’s best friend, Brielle, kept calling Emma a slut and whore when she was getting around herself. Kettle met pot your both used for the same shit! Emma can easy be made into an angel because she’s dead. But I honestly think she was just trying to “fit” in with them and got in way too far.

What makes this all so much worse is the fact that Sara does not understand at all how her treatment of Emma must of felt. She isn’t stupid she just….so she’s stupid and cold blooded. By the end of the book she has barely changed.

I guess the author wanted to make us feel somewhat for Sara because she basically has to raise her siblings by herself. But I still wasn’t feeling her at all.

So why a 3.5?

This book was hard to rate for me. Any author that makes me feel so enraged by a fictional character is doing something right. Invoking emotion is the point of writing/reading right?

However even with that I issues with this. I hated the fact that Sara didn’t really change. When I learned that this book was coming from the bully’s point of view I was interested. But it just made me angry. All of this drama came from boys. What made that worse was the fact that none of the boys were shamed. Emma didn’t just kiss Dylan, Dylan kissed her. The fact that none of them realize how stupid it is bugs me. But then again I guess that’s highs school? Thank God I’m done with that.

Easton