The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Format: Paperback
Goodreads
five-starsfive-starsfive-starsfive-starsfive-stars

Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his year yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sidelines forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

So I stopped everything I was doing…even the ARCs I was reading because I saw this book at my friends house this afternoon. I hadn’t even noticed that I had marked it up before.

This book is beyond special. It was slow at first mostly because it was dealing with a boy coming of age on top of his other issues. My heart broke for Charlie. I wanted to reach into the pages and pull him out of the darkness. I was beyond glad he had friends but their issues slowly become his issues as well. Charlie is the type of person that will put the whole world on his back and walk until his legs give out.

The amount of compassion, care, pain, hurt and love that dripped through all of the pages was not just beautiful but powerful. I wished Charlie’s parents were more in his life but I knew they cared which made everything so much harder to swallow.

I will not deny that I teared up…I don’t really cry over books. My throat starts get all full and water pools in my eyes but I don’t cry. That was how I felt at the end of this. It felt so real to me. What is “real” can easily be mistaken as cliche but that was not the case at all.

Gay friend who is proud of himself but has a closeted boyfriend.
Sister’s in an abusive relationship.
Brother was the all american boy in college.
Best girl friend (Sam) was abused as a child….just like Charlie, even though he can not speak about it to anyone. He just blacks out as if his mind is trying to protect him.
On top of that there is high school….where all of Charlie’s friends are seniors.

All of this can be seen as a lot. In fact it is a lot. But that is how great this author is. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is amazing and everyone should read it at least once.

Easton