Don’t Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski

Don’t Even Think About It by Sarah MlynowskiDon't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski
Published by Orchard Books on May 1st 2014
Pages: 304
Format: eARC
Goodreads
two-starstwo-stars

This is the story of how we became freaks. It's how a group of I's became a we.

When Class 10B got their flu shots, they expected some side effects. Maybe a sore arm. Maybe a headache. They definitely didn't expect to get telepathy. But suddenly they could hear what everyone was thinking. Their friends. Their teachers. Their parents. Now they all know that Tess has a crush on her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper. Some of them will thrive. Some of them will break. None of them will ever be the same.

A smart and funny story about friendship, first love and surviving high school from the bestselling author of Ten Things We Shouldn't Have Done.

Genre: Young Adult
The Cover: 4/10—Nothing new.
Writing: 7/10
Heroine: 5/10—Meh
Romance: 5/10—Meh
Sexiness: 0/10

What A Waste!

This book shot it’s self! The premise was really amazing. I mean imagine going to get a flu shot and waking up the next day with the ability to read minds. But your not alone it’s your whole class! Can you imagine where the author could have taken us with this one? There could have been a murder. The kids could have helped each other with personal issues no one knew new they had. They could have seriously affected the world! This could have been AMAZING. But you know what the author did instead?

She dragged us through 305 pages of mind-numbing romantic babble.

SERIOUSLY! Urg. Maybe I’m getting too old to read YA (gasp never!) or maybe authors really believe that young adults would like to waste their time on this. (Which I just can’t believe). I mean we have The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Faults Of Our Stars, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. All of those books did amazingly well maybe because they didn’t just waste the story about juvenile relationships that 9 times out of ten will not last.

This book contains every teenage after school cliché there is! But to add salt on my book wounds there were love triangles.

This books takes place in the mind of the students, thankfully not all 23 that were affected after the flu shot. Instead living in the heads of Olivia, Cooper, Pi, Mackenzie, Tess, to name a few. I didn’t mind that. I really didn’t. I just couldn’t believe all they wanted to do is be in relationships. I get it in high school we all wanted to be loved and have boyfriends. But the very fact that the author, an adult, made that the center of work is a little disheartening to me. Just because teens what to have a happier ever after in high school doesn’t mean it happens. Where are the real issues affecting them!

A WASTE!

Also when authors say “kill your darlings” they mean do it with a cause! Think of the Red Wedding! That is killing your darlings! What happens here is the fact we find out the shot given to the students was contaminated…just in case we didn’t realize that wasn’t supposed to happen….So the government comes in and decides to pay of the students on top of taking their powers!

Are you Kidding me!

Let’s break this down. The government. Home of the CIA, always looking to gather new intel and people….is going to erase their abilities? The government of almost every country will give jobs to great hackers instead of giving them jail time. But when it comes to kids with mind reading abilities they are just going to walk away?

I know I’ve said it twice but I will say it again WHAT A WASTE! This could have easily became the new Spy Games. I don’t get it. This was not a fun read for me. I was just angry. It’s like watching someone take ice cream and layer it with mold.

Easton