The Revealed by Jessica Hickam

Pages: 314
Format: eARC
Goodreads
one-half-starsone-half-stars

Lily Atwood lives in what used to be called Washington, D.C. Her father is one of the most powerful men in the world, having been a vital part of rebuilding and reuniting humanity after the war that killed over five billion people. Now he’s running to be one of its leaders.

But in the rediscovered peace on Earth, a new enemy has risen. They call themselves the Revealed – a powerful underground organization that has been kidnapping 18 year olds across the globe without reservation. No one knows why they are kidnapping these teens, but it’s clear something is different about these people. They can set fires with a snap of their fingers and create a wind strong enough to barrel over a tree with a flick of their wrist. No one has been able to stop them, and they have targeted Lily as their next victim.

But Lily has waited too long to break free from her father’s shadow to let some rebel organization just ruin everything. Not without a fight.

Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Dystopia
The Cover: 5.5/10—
Writing: 2/10
Heroine: 4/10
Romance: 1
Sexiness: 0/10

The Reveled is a new Dystopian novel by debut author Jessica Hickam.

I want to say I hate giving negative reviews to new authors. They are all so proud of themselves, (as they should be) and giving them harsh reviews is like kicking a puppy. But I’m sorry someone has to do it.

The Revealed is centered around 18-year-old, Lily Atwood, who is the daughter of one of the worlds most powerful men. Over the last five years, 18 year-olds have been kidnapped by the Revealed and because of that Lily has basically been a prisoner in her home. Even with all of her father’s security they managed to leave notes inside their house.

SO MANY ISSUES!

One of the biggest problem with this book is the fact that nothing is explained! Nothing at all!

This is a dystopian novel and all that we are told is that there was a war, which caused everyone to move to the east coast. The west cost is basically a wasteland.

For a book called the revealed I sure as hell have a lot of questions!

What started the war? I have no idea.

What happened out west? Bombs? Floods? Wild fire? I think it was a bomb….I think. It may have been said once.

What are the Revealed Of all the things going the group seems very random.

What does the world look like outside of Lily’s Mega Castle? I get it Lily is a prisoner in her house but why do I have to be too?

There is no real talk about the outside world other then the fact that there are a lot of factories. This world building is so poor I can barely call this a dystopian.

The writing

I want to claw my own eyes out, it was so painful to read! Urgh. It had nothing to do with typos or mistakes; it was just the way in which she wrote.

“The drive home is short; I’d made it less than a mile.”….Why use so many words? Why not just say “I’d made it less than a mile?”

The love story

It happened so fast. One moment they are getting to know each other with a flip of a page they are willing to die for each other.

Easton